Friday, September 25, 2009

Just a Minute

By Cheri Bunch
When my children were little, it seemed like I was always replying with those three words to one of my kids.

My son, Luke, age 4 at the time, once replied back, “Mom, do you mean your minute or my minute?”

Our minutes were different. My minute was very long to him. Do you know that child got my attention and I tended to his needs right away?

Have you noticed that the Lord says “Just a minute” sometimes? He does not seem to get in a hurry. I think He desires to be known as the God of “just in the nick of time!” He desires to get all the glory for His work. When it is just in time, it testifies to the world that it had to be Him. So, sometimes we must wait.

Sometimes when I am waiting on the Lord for an answer to prayer, I just want to say, “Lord, I know you said to wait just a minute, but is it Your minute or my minute we are talking about here?” His minutes seem so much longer to me. Sometimes His minutes test my heart. Sometimes His minutes are necessary to carry out a bigger plan. But sometimes I begin to wonder if He doesn’t delight in watching me sweat a bit! (Big smile.)

Several times David prayed: “Make haste, O Lord, make haste!” Please allow me to paraphrase, “Hurry up, Lord! Now would be a good time! This minute! My minute, Lord!”

If the man after God’s own heart can petition for the Lord to expedite the situation, then I think we can as well.

Below are some petitions that were intended to speed up the Lord’s intervention.

Psalm 38:22 “Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation” (NKJV). (My paraphrase is, “Remember, Lord, You are my Savior!”)

Psalm 40:13 “Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me; O Lord, make haste to help me!” (NKJV).

Psalm 141:1 “Lord, I cry out to You, Make haste to me! Give ear to my voice when I cry to You” (NKJV).

Have you been praying for a situation for a very long time? Perhaps the Spirit is prompting you to ask for the Lord to hurry things up a bit.

Let’s pray together: Lord, we have been waiting to witness Your mighty arm of deliverance. Would You please come quickly and do Your work as only You can? We trust You, Lord. Your timing is perfect. We know our times are in Your hand. Your children wait for You. All love to you, Sweet Jesus! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment